Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Jet Lag Is for the Weak

Psh, I don't believe that jet lag is real.

I mean, I believe that being really tired from being awake and traveling for twenty-four hours exists, but jet lag is for whiny people and stuff. Though I am having trouble knowing what day it is... but when do I know what day it is anyway?

The hostel I'm in is a-dor-a-ble. The room I'm in has a slanting blue wall surrounded by white walls. There's one long window on the slanted wall which overlooks a row of houses with gardens. I'm not sure that the girl I've met who is staying in the same room as me really speaks English. I asked her name, and she said something that sounded like "Bonjour," but she doesn't speak French. She's Turkish. I asked if there was someone else staying in the room, and she pointed to the other occupied bed and said "USA."

I spent the day wandering around Dun Laoghaire. I walked near the sea. And there was this great, black bird standing out on a rock in the sea (similar to lions who stand on chairs in the middle of the ocean) with its wings spread at either side. Weird bird. It's this creature. I found out because there was a sign indicating the flora and fauna of the marine area. It also said there were grey seals and porpoises, so with luck, I'll see some marine mammals. And you all know how much I adore marine mammals. If only we could coax a walrus into an Irish field trip.

The down-town area of Dun Laoghaire is not far away. I bought an Irish prepay cell phone so that I'll have access to emergency services if I need them. I asked what the emergency number was when I bought the phone; I guess you can use 911, 999, or 112. Then I had some mushroom soup and jasmine tea at a little yellow cafe. And at the cafes here, they give you a big pot of tea. Not just a little cup of hot water with a tea bag.

I spent some time in the lounge of the hostel. There seem to be several people here from Brazil. One of them doesn't speak English too well, though he was trying, so we played Google Translate. And who doesn't love Google Translate?

It can teach you that no comida para tu perro despues la medianoche antes cirugia.

True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment